Flint Hills - John Morrison

Flint Hills

The Kansas Flint Hills, formed by the erosion of Permian-age limestones and shales, extend from Marshall County, in the north, to Cowley County, in the south, and are known as the Osage Hills in Oklahoma. Named for the embedded bands of chert, or flint, the Flint Hills region is one of the last great preserves of tallgrass prairie in the country. —Kansas Geological Survey

Galleries

© 2002-2018 JOHN D MORRISON
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Powered by SmugMug Log In
Cottonwood Falls

Cottonwood Falls

Cottonwood Falls is the county seat of Chase County, in the Kansas Flint Hills. The courthouse, begun in 1871 and completed in 1873, is the oldest county courthouse still in use in the state. Neighboring Greenwood County had a virtual twin courthouse in the architectural style known as Second Empire, but it was demolished in the 1950s. The late spring setting sun illuminates the north face of the courthouse for a few minutes. Chase County, Kansas. May 27, 2004.

Flint HillsChase CountyCottonwood Falls